Set your New Years resolution and STICK TO IT with these 9 simple steps
Without fail, every January the gyms get busier with the eager New Years resolutions for better health, six pack abs, bikini bodies and weight loss targets. Unfortunately as quickly as it picks up, it also slows back down to the regular rhythm by about mid February. Nobody wants to be that statistic that fails sticking to their resolution in one month, we’re here to help you plan yours out so you can be successful with your fitness resolution!
- Write it down writing it down can force you to review your goal frequently to keep it on your mind. Then chart your progress as you start to see results, reinforcing why you started in the first place!
- Make it Measurable make sure the goal you are making is measurable, either I want to lose ten pounds or I want to run 5km. This way you can keep track of it and see your progress!
- Make it Specific just as I had mentioned you want to make it measurable, also make sure you are specific! Vague goals such as “Be Fit” or “lose weight” make it more difficult to measure your success and keep you on target.
- Start Small changes take time to become a lifestyle, and don’t underestimate it! If you want to lose 20lbs but have never worked out in a gym before start by setting your goal to getting to the gym 3 times a week. Then build up your goal from there as you stick to your routine.
- Manage your Time one of the biggest excuses associated with failure of adherence to a fitness regime is time. Schedule your fitness into your week, write it down and treat it like any other appointment or obligation. Habits develop over time and require consistency.
- Make yourself Accountable develop your support system with friends or family, or charting your visits to the gym, or joining a group with like minded individuals to help push and motivate you to continue.
- Keep Things Interesting The best athletes in the world work their bodies in different ways to avoid plateau, so you should do the same! As you build your routine start to incorporate different ways of working out such as joining a class at your gym, finding a recreational sports team to play on.This will keep you from feeling bored of your routine and motivate you to continue.
- Reward yourself when you hit milestones such as making it to the gym 3 times a week for a month or losing the first 10lbs. Make the reward something related to your activity such as a massage or a new gym outfit.
- Ask for Help Don’t be afraid to ask for help with attaining your goals. There are professionals in this area who are more then happy to help you learn proper form, plan out your goals appropriately and offer support as needed. Book a FREE Fitness consultation with one of our Certified Personal Trainers here.
Fit these steps into your resolution planning and remember to be forgiving of yourself. As mentioned frequently new behaviours take time to learn and adhere to, you will slip up but just always remember why you started. Here’s to planning a healthier, fitter you in 2023!